I recently bought my mother a gift and mailed it to her. Before it arrived, I told her it was on its way, and that I'd been thinking of giving this to her for several months.
She told me later this had really piqued her interest, and she kept thinking about all the things it might be. Imagine her surprise when she opened her gift to find not one but three carbon monoxide detectors for her home.
Although not on your typical holiday gift-giving list, carbon monoxide detectors, radon test kits and smoke detectors make great gifts for those you love.
Carbon monoxide at high levels can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. If appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of carbon monoxide produced is usually not hazardous.
However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can result. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from...
http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20111206/ARTICLES/112061001/1042/NEWS?p=1&tc=pg | CLICK LINK TO READ FULL ARTICLE